High Bridge Park was the name given in 1913 to the area that follows Latah Creek from Vinegar Flats, south of Interstate 90, to where the creek meets the Spokane River.
At the new 40-acre park, visitors could look up at the recently completed concrete Sunset Highway Bridge overhead and the Monroe Street Bridge in the distance.
In that same year, the Oregon-Washington Railroad and Navigation Co. (OWR&N) was building a steel train bridge, which stood 100 feet above the Spokane River, through the park to get trains to the Union Station that was about to open in downtown Spokane in 1914.
The OWR&N, founded in the 1880s, started
→ Continue reading at The Spokesman-Review