Around the turn of the twentieth century, First Hill became the hot neighborhood for Seattle residents of means, given its unfettered views and proximity to downtown. While it mansions are what first popped up, apartment buildings soon followed. And in 1929, one of the most luxurious of them all opened: 1223 Spring Street.
The concrete building with brick and terra-cotta ornamentation was designed by Earl Wilson Morrison, known for his high-rise apartments in Seattle and elsewhere in Washington. It was modeled after the Park Avenue style in New York City, with all the creature comforts the well-to-do could want: Fireplaces! Foyers! Electric clothes dryers! Separate service
→ Continue reading at SeattleMet