Candles sparked Mount Pleasant blaze that evicted dozens, fire department says

A fire that displaced more than 70 residents from their Mount Pleasant apartment complex in late July was caused by candles, says Vancouver Fire Rescue Services (VFRS).

Public information officer Captain Matthew Trudeau told CBC News in an emailed statement Thursday that the fire is being considered accidental — but that fire codes were not being followed in the building.

“I can confirm that fire prevention inspectors have submitted fire bylaw offences for prosecution at 414 E 10th Ave,” Trudeau wrote.

Flames broke out in the older, lowrise apartment building on the evening of July 27, and crews had to begin rescuing people from balconies as soon as they arrived.

At the time,

→ Continue reading at CBC News

Related articles


Share article

Latest articles