Daniel F. Wetzel, born in Ohio, opened a jewelry store in Spokane in 1887. D.F. Wetzel and Co., in the Hyde building, was an “installment store” where most sales were made on credit, with customers making weekly payments.
One of his early partners was George Dodson, who would later open his own store.
The store was rebuilt after the massive 1889 fire and became a downtown fixture at 609 W. Riverside Ave., selling clocks, watches, jewelry and silverware.
Wetzel died in 1926 at age 74. Weisfield & Goldberg, a chain from Seattle, bought the business and inventory in 1927.
Brothers Leo and Sam Weisfield and their brother-in-law Ralph Goldberg
→ Continue reading at The Spokesman-Review