From 1890 until the buildings were demolished in 1933, four interconnected buildings wrapped around the southeast corner of Howard Street and Riverside Avenue were simply called the Rookery, the word for a colony of birds’ nests.
The first of the buildings to be rebuilt after the great fire of 1889 on the southeast corner of Howard and Riverside was the six-story Spokane National Bank, which had been in the same spot before the fire. The bank was opened in 1888 by William Taylor, Charles Hussey and Warren Hussey. Railroad builder Daniel Corbin was on the board, and it was partnered with banks in Murray, Wallace and Wardner, Idaho. The
→ Continue reading at The Spokesman-Review